Applicant days are an essential step in your university journey. They are subject specific days which give you the opportunity to learn more about your chosen university and court.
City Focus: Plymouth. Where to eat, drink and shop.
Continuing our city focus on student life in Plymouth. Our Plymouth team take a look at just some of the top places to Eat, Drink and Shop in Plymouth.
Plymouth’s best independent places to grab a bite to eat.
Italian, Greek, Turkish, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Himalayan, Mexican and British restaurants may all be found in Plymouth, there’s so much to choose from it’s hard to pick.
- Fish and Chips in the Barbican – In paper walking around the harbour or a more formal meal in the restaurant? With several fish and chip shops to choose from you’re sure to get a good cod and chip supper in the Barbican. Harbourside, The Harbour and Rockfish are just three. Rockfish has a student night where you get a bottle of wine on the house when four of you dine on a Tuesday night. We’ve mentioned Rockfish before in our sustainable seafood blog.
- The Dock – Head over to Milbay and King Point Marina for great food and great coastal views from its two al fresco balcony dining areas at this family-run café and restaurant.
- Samphire Brasserie – Located on Mayflower Street, Samphire has been serving up award-winning vegan food since 2013. It’s a few minutes’ walk from the majority of our Plymouth student homes.
- Hangry – Next door to Frobisher House on Ebrington Street you’ll find an all-day brunch spot that opened in 2018. From waffles to burgers, to toasties and pancakes all served up with amazing coffee and cocktails.
- Mama Rita’s Kitchen –Market Avenue is home to this Afro-Caribbean Kitchen from Caribbean Curry’s, Ghanaian stews, Jerk Chicken and of course Rice and Peas. Mama Rita’s is just 5 minutes’ walk from Central Point.
The best places to venture Out-Out.
Want to avoid the usual chains on your next night out? Our Plymouth team sampled a few of our locals, in no particular order…
- Roundabout – On North Hill, Roundabout is a great student bar and perfectly located close to the University of Plymouth and the College of Art meaning its just a few minutes’ walk from all our student accommodation Plymouth.
- Switch – Again on North Hill, you’ll find Switch a café, bar and club just minutes from our Plymouth locations with great deals running throughout the week.
- The Crafty Half – You’ll find the Crafty Half midway between Plymouth’s city centre and the Mutley Plain area of town. A traditional pub from outside with an amazing interior that must be seen. It’s called the Crafty Half for a reason as well. It’s what this pub is all about – and that’s half-pints. With draught beers only available by the half-pint, the “home of the half” is a good place to taste a few different ales from the pub’s carefully chosen selection.
- Play – Formally Q bar this sports bar with a difference is a few minutes’ walk from Discovery Heights and The Old Dairy. Play shows sports every day, from football, rugby, NFL, to F1 and UFC. You name it Play shows it. As well as live sport, the bar contains pool tables, slot machines, retro games and pinball. And with dirty fries, wings, nachos and pizza on offer, you’ll never want to leave.
- Bread & Roses – Plymouth’s only social enterprise pub and located next door to Frobisher House. Focused on a community hub and arts space with a café and free WiFi by day and live music and events by night.
The best places to go shopping.
Love to shop? Get ready for some serious retail therapy from Plymouth’s independent retailers…
- Prime – Plymouth’s independent skateboard store, located on Commercial Street, Prime has been open since 2008. Selling all the well-known brands including DC, Etnies and of course Vans.
- 25 Menswear – A Plymouth institution, 25 Menswear has been in Plymouth city centre since 1982 originally a sports store now a designer menswear store. From Timberland to Henri Lloyd, Tommy Hilfiger and Weekend Offender can be found at this Mayflower Street store.
- The Art Side – Studying at The College of Art? Then this Mayflower Street store will be your new best friend. The only specialist art retailer in Plymouth. The Art Side has been supplying arts and crafts materials in the city for almost 40 years.
- The Hive Mind – Plymouth’s independent comic shop located in Frankfort Gate it’s just a few minutes’ walk from all our city-centre locations. A huge range of Comics, Funko Pop figures and games are to be found here.
- Plymouth Market – Did you know there’s been a market in Plymouth since 1253? The current market has been open since 1959. Located on Cornwall Street the Market is open 6 days a week. With shops and stalls selling everything from food and treats, to fashion and arts and crafts.
Looking for accommodation this September? We still have rooms in all 6 of our Plymouth locations.
Getting serious about the environment we live in.
To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.
It’s a simple campaign! For every percent we reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by we donate to one of our nominated charities.Show me all news
It's easy to work yourself up into a pre-exam panic, but remember that taking the right steps to put yourself in the best study mood is the most important tool you possess.
Chinese New Year events in the UK. Chinese New Year, also known as Lunar New Year or Spring Festival, falls on 22 January 2023.