As we prepare to launch the 2020/21 #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign, we’re delighted to announce that we will be donating £20,000 to our three nominated charities.
25 ways to look after your mental health and wellbeing
Everyone has mental health, and just like our physical health, you should ensure you maintain a good level of mental health and wellbeing.
You shouldn’t wait until you’re feeling stressed or anxious to take action; there are many simple, small steps you can take everyday that will benefit your wellbeing.
However, if you’re juggling assignments, attending lectures and everything else that goes along with being a student, you might think you don’t have the time to do something every day. But sometimes, a quick 5 minutes out of your day to focus on your wellbeing can be all you need to make a difference.
How to take care of your mental health:
So, with World Mental Health Day this coming Saturday (10th October), we’ve listed 25 things you can do to take some time out from your daily routine to focus on yourself and your mental health and wellbeing.
1. Call a friend or family member for a chat and a catch up.
2. Write down 5 things you’re grateful for.
3. Sit outside or by a window and just listen to the world.
4. Send someone you love a text message to let them know you’re thinking of them.
5. Read a book (or at least make a start by reading a chapter).
6. Play some music and dance like no-one’s watching.
7. Share a photo of you and your friends on social media and tag them in it to remind them of a good/funny memory.
8. Keep a diary and write down your feelings and talk about your experiences.
9. Get outside and enjoy the sunlight; whether it’s a walk around the block, a jog around the park or simply sitting on a bench outside your accommodation.
10. Take part in a quiz (virtual or in person).
11. Complete a jigsaw puzzle.
12. Play your favourite song or listen to your favourite artist’s album.
13. Have a video call with your friends.
14. Find a recipe and cook something new for your lunch or dinner.
15. Do a home workout.
16. Have a tidy of your room/workspace.
17. Bake a sweet treat and share with your flatmates (or enjoy all to yourself).
18. Watch your favourite movie or an episode of the latest TV series.
19. Think about what you want to achieve in the future and write it down so you have something to work towards.
20. Have a digital detox and put your phone away for an hour.
21. Reflect on your past achievements and how far you’ve come in the past year.
22. Buy your favourite food in your next shop.
23. Make a cup of tea and enjoy it with no distractions.
24. Meet up with a friend for a coffee (and cake).
25. Do something creative such as draw, paint, write, make a video, play an instrument.
For even more ways to look after your health and wellbeing, download our poster below:
Having good mental health is so important for a happy and healthy life. It can help you to sleep better, feel better, enable you to do the things you want to do, and it can also help you have more positive relationships with those people around you. It is not only good for us now, but it can also help us deal with and manage difficult times in the future.
Learn how we at Host help to support our student’s health and wellbeing whilst living with us: https://host-students.com/your-wellbeing/
Getting serious about the environment we live in.
To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.
It’s a simple campaign! If we can reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by 1% then we will donate £10,000, 2% reduction means £20,000, 3% is £30,000 and so on, to 3 charities; BulliesOut, Planet Patrol and World Land Trust.Show me all news
With the nights getting longer. It’s time to reflect on your safety while travelling to and from campus. Here are our top tips for staying safe.
Get outside, explore your new city and take some photos along the way. Capture a #MyHostCity sticker in the photo for a chance to win these top prizes!