We are thrilled to be expanding our range of locations for student accommodation. Say hello to The Village at The Viaduct, our latest student accommodation in Durham. The modern and popular Village at The Viaduct student accommodation is in the city centre viaduct area of Durham.
Celebrating Australia Day
Whether you’ve lived there, been there on a holiday or simply seen its beauty on the television, Australia is an amazing country. So much so, that every year on the 26th January, a national public holiday is held in the country; known as Australia Day. It’s a day for all Australians to reflect on being Australian and also to celebrate Australia and its history.
We know we’re not in Australia, but if you want to get in the Australian spirit of things, we’ve pulled together some fascinating facts and some popular Aussie slang to prepare you for some Australian themed events in Birmingham!
Facts about Australia
- Australia is the only continent covered by a single country.
- Australia has one of the world’s lowest population densities – it’s size is only a bit smaller than the USA, yet the population is only around 23 million, as opposed to 313 million in the United States.
- The Great Barrier Reef is regarded as the world’s largest living organism and is often listed as one of the Seven Wonders of the Natural World.
- Canberra was built specifically to be Australia’s capital city as both Sydney and Melbourne had reasons for being denied.
- Sydney is Australia’s largest city.
- The Box Jellyfish – which is found in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef – is responsible for more deaths than snakes, sharks and saltwater crocodiles combined.
Popular Aussie words & the meanings
- G’day – good morning or hello
- Arvo – afternoon
- Mate – friend
- Cheers – thank you
- She’ll be right – it will be OK
- Barbie – barbecue
- Mozzie – mosquito
- Thongs – flip flops
- Ta – thanks
So, now you know the facts and the lingo, it’s time to celebrate. And if you’re in Birmingham, there are a number of places you can go to celebrate Australia Day. From scouting out the Australian drinks in the Post Office Vault, to sausage sizzle and the Australian Open Tennis at ozzie-themed bar, Walkabout. Find out more about what’s on here.
Getting serious about the environment we live in.
To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.
It’s a simple campaign! For every percent we reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by we donate to one of our nominated charities.Show me all news
Overpacking is easily done, especially if you're going into your first year at uni. Our guide details what not to take to university.
As part of the uni application process, some universities require candidates to attend an interview. With the correct preparation, they are a fantastic way to show the university what you have to offer as a student. Discover how to prepare for a uni interview here.