Just because you’re strapped for cash this Christmas, it doesn’t mean you can’t show your loved ones how much you care. Check out some of our favourite DIY low cost Christmas gift ideas...
Facts about Wales you probably never knew before
Wales; famous for its rugged coastline, mountainous National Parks and not forgetting the Celtic Welsh language. It’s a pretty cool country to live in or to visit. Firstly, not only does it have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, the Welsh people are known as one of the friendliest.
But there’s one thing you need to know before you pay the country a visit, it does rain a lot in Wales! So, be sure to pack your umbrella and wellies. But don’t let the rain dampen your spirits, whether it’s wet and miserable or a blazing hot sunny day, there are some wonderful things to see and do.
From North Wales to South Wales and everything in between, take a trip back in time at one of Wales’ hundreds of historic castles and sites. Go for a hike in the Brecon Beacons and take in some beautiful views of the rolling hills and stunning valleys, which wouldn’t be complete without some wildlife and livestock along the way.
Sport more your thing? Head to the capital of Wales, Cardiff, for an international rugby day to soak up the electric atmosphere and watch the home nation in action at The Principality Stadium. And when you’re done there, it’s time to enjoy the vibrant nightlife of the city. Hit up one of Cardiff’s many bars, restaurants or clubs – you won’t be short of choice.
Studying in Wales
And as for education, the education in Wales is excellent – along with the variation of culture and long history. The first university of Britain was set up on the coast of the Vale of Glamorgan in South Wales.
The education in Wales has a very good success rate with students from all over the world coming to study in the many universities, including those in Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Pontypridd, Carmarthen, Lampeter, Aberystwyth, Wrexham and Bangor. Furthermore, you’ll find an endless list of courses to choose from, ranging from Fashion or Film to Business Management or Engineering. And you’ll be pleased to hear that 95% of students that study in Wales find a job within six months of graduating.
With so much choice and opportunity, Wales really is a great place to be; and we can guarantee you won’t be disappointed. But if that wasn’t enough about Wales, here are some fun and interesting facts about Wales…
Did you know….?
- There are 4 times the amount of sheep than there are people in wales.
- Marconi (who invented the radio) did his first radio testing in Wales in 1897 on 11th
- Wales has the most castles in one country than any other in the world.
- K, Q, V and Z are letters not seen in the Welsh language.
- Cardiff City Football team are the only non-English club to win the FA Cup (in 1927).
- Cardiff holds the oldest record shop in the world, opening in 1894. It’s called Spillers.
- From sports stars to popstars, many successful and famous people come from Wales. This includes Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Christian Bale, Gareth Bale, Roald Dahl, Catherine Zeta Jones, Ryan Giggs and many more.
- Only 10% of people in Cardiff speak Welsh.
- Roald Dahl was christened in the Norwegian church in Cardiff Bay. He lived in a Tudor house opposite the Llandaff Cathedral School and read his stories to the children there.
- The world’s first 1 million pound cheque was written in the Cardiff Coal Exchange.
- Sophia Gardens was Cardiff’s first park, opened by the Bute family in 1858.
So, there you have it. Do you like the sound of Wales? If you’re studying in Cardiff this September, or perhaps you’re planning a visit to the Capital City during the summer months, why not stay with us at our accommodation at Shand House? If you would like to find out more, please contact the management team today.
Getting serious about the environment we live in.
To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.
It’s a simple campaign! For every percent we reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by we donate to one of our nominated charities.Show me all news
Festive music, mulled wine, sparkling lights - Christmas Markets and Winter Wonderlands are one of England's best traditions. An excuse to have a lovely day out with friends and families, take in the country's most picturesque cities, and do a little retail therapy whilst you're at it. We have listed some of the most popular Christmas markets for you to visit this festive season. Start planning your ultimate winter trip for 2023 today.
Hello Leeds! We are expanding our range of locations for student accommodation. Welcome to Exchange Court, our latest student accommodation in Leeds. A brand new luxury student accommodation in Leeds city centre opening in September 2024. Offering spacious studios with huge windows and lots of natural light and many with your own private balcony.