The university application process doesn't have to be scary. In fact, it's a great opportunity for students to set themselves apart from other applicants. Learn how to write good personal statements for university here.
Heading home for Christmas? Top energy saving tips
With the Christmas holidays just around the corner you may be starting to plan your journey home. But before you do, we wanted to remind you of some of the energy saving tasks you need to do before you leave to go home.
- Please check your bathroom for any drips or trickles of water coming from your taps, showers, or the toilet, if there is please report to your reception team so that we can get it fixed while you’re away. It’s really important for water conservation as in a single week a dripping shower or tap can waste up to 25 litres and a running toilet more than 2500 litres of wasted water.
- Check that all your electronic devices are turned off and unplugged (if possible) before you leave, even a TV on standby will consume electricity.
- Please switch off your heating system (or turn down to a minimum setting) and all lights and keep your windows closed.
And most importantly, if you are going to be away from your Host location for longer than 7 days, please mark yourself as being away on the ‘Away from Host’ section on your Host Portal.
Energy saving over the Christmas period
But, if you’re staying with us over the Christmas period, there’s a few things you can also do to reduce your energy consumption and help the environment by following these top tips.
When out of your room please:
- Switch off your heating system or as a minimum please switch to the lowest possible setting.
- Wherever possible switch off your electronic devices and ensure that lights are turned off.
- Close your bedroom window, not just for safety, but to also to keep the heat in your room.
- Report any drips or trickles of water from your taps, showers, or toilet to your reception team.
Help us be more environmentally aware:
Did you know across all Host properties we use more energy in the four hours between 5:30pm and 9:30pm than the rest of the entire day! So, we’re asking you, during these hours, to please be more environmentally aware of your consumption. Follow the above top tips and consider little changes such as putting on your favourite hoodie and turning your heater down by just a few degrees. In making such small changes to the way in which you consume energy, you will be making a massive change to your own carbon footprint!
By working together and being more aware of our consumption and following the above measures you’ll be helping to reduce our individual energy consumption and impact on the environment.
From everyone at Host, we want to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Getting serious about the environment we live in.
To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.
It’s a simple campaign! For every percent we reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by we donate to one of our nominated charities.Show me all news
Graduate schemes are a fantastic way to boost your career prospects and personal development after university. Discover how to apply to a graduate scheme here.
Being a student can be a little expensive, especially when some find that their maintenance loans don't cover the basics and due to the cost of living crisis. So, be sure to make the most of your student discount while you can. We have been busy finding the best student discounts this Freshers for you. Take a look at some of the best discounts we believe you need to know about right now.