Festive music, mulled wine, sparkling lights - Christmas Markets and Winter Wonderlands are one of England's best traditions. An excuse to have a lovely day out with friends and families, take in the country's most picturesque cities, and do a little retail therapy whilst you're at it. We have listed some of the most popular Christmas markets for you to visit this festive season. Start planning your ultimate winter trip for 2023 today.
How to stop being lonely in uni
It’s almost Christmas, first term done and dusted and yet feel a little lonely. Its okay not to be okay. Loneliness is more common than you think. You are not alone. The 2022 Student Academic Experience Survey asked questions about loneliness for the first time and found nearly one in four students (23%) reported feeling lonely “all” or “most” of the time.
Loneliness doesn’t last forever; it will come and go. Read on to help you understand how you are feeling and the changes you can make.
How to tell if you’re lonely.
Loneliness comes in lots of different forms.
- Feeling left out and never getting invited to events
- No one to hang out with
- No one wants to join in on my plans
- Don’t have anyone you feel close to
- Feel stuck in your room
None of these? Feeling alone even when people are around is also a common symptom of depression or social anxiety.
How to meet new people.
- Join a society
- Get a part time job
- Make an effort to talk to people on your course
- Look for easy talking points – compliment on an outfit or bag could lead to a conversation that may be the start of a friendship
Take care of yourself.
- Keep going to classes
- Exercise regularly – It’s been well documented how beneficial regular activity can be for both your mental and physical health
- Get out of your room
Friendships take time, especially genuine ones. Remember, the more time you spend out and about and interacting with different people, the better chances you will have of meeting people you get on with.
If your loneliness is getting worse – help is there.
- Your university’s student services/support team.
- Samaritans – phone, email, and face-to-face listening service.
- Student Minds – guidance and support tailored to uni life.
- Mind – mental health support and advice (including for loneliness).
Getting serious about the environment we live in.
To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.
It’s a simple campaign! For every percent we reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by we donate to one of our nominated charities.Show me all news
Hello Leeds! We are expanding our range of locations for student accommodation. Welcome to Exchange Court, our latest student accommodation in Leeds. A brand new luxury student accommodation in Leeds city centre opening in September 2024. Offering spacious studios with huge windows and lots of natural light and many with your own private balcony.
It's that time of year when the days are shorter, the weather is cold and wet, and after a day studying you just want to get cosy, not go to the gym. That's perfectly okay. Read our tips on how to burn calories another way.