Halloween is creeping up, so make sure you have plans in place with your costume in hand. Check out what your university city has to offer.
Staying healthy in the heat
Although most of us welcome the summer sun and heat, the heatwave and high temperatures we’re currently experiencing can be harmful to your health. The following tips will help guard you against any heat related issues and help you stay healthy in the heat:
- Plan your day so you slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous activities during the hottest part of the day (11am – 3pm).
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water regularly. Avoid drinks with caffeine.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight and light-coloured clothing. Avoid dark colours because they absorb the sun’s rays.
- Shut windows and close the blinds when it’s hotter outside. Open windows for ventilation when it’s cooler.
- Avoid extreme temperature changes, for example moving from a cold air-conditioned room to the outside.
- Keep a check on friends, relatives and neighbours throughout the day, especially those less able to look after themselves.
Generally, we’re able to regulate our internal temperature by sweating, but excessive heat makes it harder for our body to cool itself, which could lead to one of 3 heat-related illnesses; heat cramps, heat exhaustion or heat stroke. For more information, prevention and advice on staying healthy in the heat, visit the NHS website.
We hope you enjoy your summer and the beautiful weather whilst it lasts, and make sure you stay safe and healthy in the heat! For more advice, tips and updates from Host, visit our news page.
Getting serious about the environment we live in.
To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.
It’s a simple campaign! If we can reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by 1% then we will donate £10,000, 2% reduction means £20,000, 3% is £30,000 and so on, to 3 charities; BulliesOut, Planet Patrol and World Land Trust.Show me all news
Everyone needs a bit of motivation in the mornings to start a day of productivity on the right foot. We've put together the best ways to get yourself in the right state of mind every morning, even if you don't have early lessons. Always aim to seize the morning.
Autumn is all about warm tones and snug comfy outfits, but you can also spend some time making your bedroom more homely with easy crafts and decorating tips.