student accommdation

What bills are included in all-inclusive student accommodation?

What does all-inclusive bills mean?

PBSA (Purpose Built Student Accommodation) tend to offer all-inclusive living at their properties. All-inclusive living means you will pay one price which covers the rent and bills. PBSA’s tend to offer no bill rises throughout your stay too, but it is important to check before booking.

All-inclusive student accommodation is a popular choice for students regardless of their year of study. You will get peace of mind knowing there wont be any nasty shocks or bills posted through your door. Simply ensure you pay your rent on time and make the most of your time as a student. PBSA accommodation can also offer great social spaces for residents free of charge, such as gyms, cinemas, study spaces and laundry facilities.

Student accommodation providers vary and what they offer can differ. Read our tips on finding the right student accommodation for you.

student accommodation

What bills are covered with all-inclusive accommodation?

At Host, the following is provided:

  • Water
  • Electricity
  • Heating
  • Internet/WiFi
  • Security
  • Contents Insurance – this covers all of your belongings for peace of mind.

Before booking your student accommodation, make sure to check what they offer as no all providers offer the same in terms of all-inclusive.

Learn about all the benefits of living with Host.

Do I have to pay council tax if I’m a student?

No. As a student you are exempt from paying Council Tax in the UK.

How do you pay for all-inclusive rent?

At Host, there are different options to choose from when paying your rent, ensuring that regardless of your financial situation, there is an option for you.


Host offer the FULL YEAR PAYMENT which is payed before move in. With this option, you won’t have to pay anything else during your stay. At Host, we won’t increase utility bills throughout your stay, so you can rest and concentrate on your student life.


Host also offer an INSTALLMENT PLAN which means 3 or 4 installments throughout your stay (the actual payment dates are shown before you book). This option is most popular with UK students as due dates are in line with Student Loan Dates. It is important to note that this payment method is only available when someone you know personally, living and working in the UK acts as you guarantor*.


The third option is the MONTHLY PLAN. Quite simply, you’ll be paying monthly. Our monthly plan is only available via Housing Hand, our third-party guarantor scheme.

For the majority of students, accommodation is one of the largest outgoings while you are studying at university. If you’re currently applying for university or are planning for the future, you might be wondering how students pay for accommodation. Learn about how students are paying for their student accommodation.

*What is a guarantor? A guarantor is someone who agrees to be on a lease and guarantees to pay a tenant’s rent in the event that the tenant defaults on their rental obligation.

student accommodation

What about renting privately as a student?

Students can rent private accommodation alone or with friends. Renting privately means you can be in control of what area you live in. Once you move into private accommodation, you’ll have to sign a tenancy agreement and you will most likely have to put down a deposit.

If you share rented accommodation with others, this is known as a Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO). When live in a HMO, your landlord must have a license to make sure all safety standards are met.

In privately rented housing, you are likely to have to organise bills and pay them on top of your rent. If you live with others you will have to work what each person owes, and decide who’s bank account the direct debits are set up to.

Bills to consider when privately renting as a student:

  • Water
  • Electric
  • Gas
  • WiFi (which usually hold you in to an 18 month contract meaning you’ll be paying even when you’ve moved out)
  • Contents insurance

Where some PBSA’s have on site gym’s and cinemas, remember when renting privately you will likely have to pay on top for a gym membership and other social activities.

all inclusive student accommodation

Is all-inclusive student accommodation the best option?

There are many options out there for student accommodation. Maker sure to do your research first. All-inclusive student accommodation is a great way to live comfortably in uni and not have the added stresses of paying student utility bills. You can can live in most PBSA’s for any year of study.

Renting privately means you can choose what area you want to live in although you will likely have to sort out utility bills yourself.

If you are moving into new accommodation, whether a hall of residence, PBSA, or a private house, make sure the property is safe and free from hazards. This includes ensuring that gas or electrical appliances are safe to use, that furniture meets fire safety standards, and that the property is free from major hazards.

student accommdation

Are you looking for your dream student accommodation for September?

Host offer hassle-free, all-inclusive living and provide students with a welcoming, reassuring and stress-free experience at university or college.

We provide award-winning services our students have become accustomed to. And our management and staff always strive to exceed the exceptional quality accommodation and service we offer; building on the good reputation we’ve earned over the past 25+ years.

Look inside any of our properties and you’ll discover a comfortable, stylish and safe place to live. Somewhere welcoming and supportive. Happy and relaxed. A place to make the most of being a student. A home.

Getting serious about the environment we live in.

To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.

It’s a simple campaign! For every percent we reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by we donate to one of our nominated charities.

Show me all news

Latest news

News flash! Best restaurants in Nottingham

At our two Nottingham student accommodation sites Lace Market Studios and The Rise, we asked our residents where are the best places to eat in Nottingham? They gave us a list of the places they recommend, and also the other hidden gems around the area.

Best restaurants in Nottingham - Host Student accommodation

News flash! What is the UCAT exam?

The UCAT exam is an admissions test which is primarily used by universities offering medical and dental degree programs. The UCAT exam assesses cognitive abilities, attitudes, critical thinking and logical reasoning. All are considered essential for success in the medical and dental fields. The exam is made of multiple choice questions which cover several sections. These include verbal reasoning, decision making, quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning, and situational judgement.

What is the UCAT exam? Student Tips, Host student accommodation
Host - Student and undergound
UCAS key dates 2025

News flash! When can I apply for university?

When you should apply for university depends primarily on when you'd like to start your course. You can start your 2025 UCAS application from the 14th May 2024, but you'll have to wait until the 3rd September 2024 to submit the application. If you want to start university in September 2024, read our blog is it too late to apply to uni?