Experience Southampton Crossings for yourself - take a tour of our show flat.
Christmas in your Host City.
Just as the John Lewis ad and a certain red truck hits our TV screens, it’s that time of year…
…Holidays are coming!
We’ve searched the internet to find a selection of the best Christmas markets, winter wonderlands, traditional Pantomimes and all christmassy events going on in your Host City:
- Brum’s German Market – Brum’s Frankfurt market is the largest authentic German Christmas market outside of Germany with over 80 stalls. 2019’s market takes place in Victoria Square and New Street all the way through to 23rd December from 10am to 9pm every day.
- Big Wheel and Ice Rink – Open until the 12th January the undercover ice rink, big wheel and city flyer rides are open 10am to 10pm in Centenary Square.
#bhamgram from @clayt_ with this brilliantly energetic reminder (as if you needed one) that there’s loads of Christmas fun to be having in town again now! This is a wonderful shot capturing a part of the city that is changing at a very fast pace! Awesome! ❤️ ・・・ Christmas is back in Birmingham ⠀ * * * * * #bhamgram #igersbirmingham #bhamupdates #birminghamupdates #birminghamlife #bhamvisuals #birminghamuk #birminghamcity #birminghamblogger #0121 #iluvbrum #christmasinbham #nightphotoearth #night_shooterz #weownthenight #ig_nightphotography #nightscape #fromwhereidrone #djiglobal #djicreator #iamdji #mavic2pro #dronestagram #droneofficial #droneoftheday #globalnightsquad #uk_shooters #uk_spinners #ukpotd_nov18 #uk_greatshots
1,701 Likes, 49 Comments – Birmingham on Instagram (@birminghamgram) on Instagram: “#bhamgram from @clayt_ with this brilliantly energetic reminder (as if you needed one) that there’s…”
- City Social – Located in the Suffolk Street Queensway underpass next to the Mailbox. With a different vibe to the German market, you’ll find chalets selling global foods and locally-made gifts with live music and outdoor heaters. City social runs from November 28th to December 21st.
- The Panto – The Birmingham Hippodrome is home to Snow white and the Severn Dwarfs this year. The panto runs from December 21st to February 2nd.
- Bristol’s Christmas Market – home to over 50 unique stalls, selling seasonal delights, crafts and unique items. The market is located in the Broadmead area and runs all the way through to the 23rd Open from 10am to 10pm the market has a mix of food and drink including the Jäger Barn Bar with heated seating and live music. You can try your hand at Curling.
- Head out the city – Hop on the bus to the Mall, Cribbs Causeway for some Christmas shopping and Winter Wonderland. Home to the UK’s biggest ice track at 1,500 sq meters. It’s open until the 5th January.
- The traditional Bristol Christmas experience – St Nicholas Markets have been the traditional centre of Bristol’s Christmas since the 1800’s. With the regular indoor market with over 60 stalls plus a Christmas themed outdoor one which is open from the 11th December until Christmas eve from 10am to 5pm.
- Brave the riverside chill – Over five weekends the Harbourside area will be transformed into a covered Christmas market with 40 of Bristol’s brightest independent retailers. The Harbourside Christmas Market will be open from 23rd November to 22nd December between 11am – 5pm.
It’s day two of The Harbourside Christmas Market today Open 11am-5pm for merriment, live music and mulled drinks, plus loads of great local stalls #merrybristmas
101 Likes, 6 Comments – The Harbourside Market (@theharboursidemarket) on Instagram: “It’s day two of The Harbourside Christmas Market today Open 11am-5pm for merriment, live music…”
- The Panto – Dick Whittington is the panto at Bristol Hippodrome this Christmas. Running from 7th December to 5th January.
- The North Pole – Located amongst the trees in Parker’s Piece Park, Cambridge’s very own winter wonderland is open until the 5th January. The undercover ice rink allows you to skate under the stars. With an alpine bar and a number of funfair rides. The North Pole is open between 11am and 9pm in the week and 10am – 9pm on the weekends.
Start your New Year’s Eve celebrations in style at The North Pole, open today until 7pm (last skate at 6pm)! We’re open until the 6th of January. Pre-book your tickets online today to avoid disappointment! ⛸ #iceskating #thenorthpole #cambridge #cambridgeiceskating #christmas #newyearseve #familyfun #cambs #parkerspiece
48 Likes, 4 Comments – The North Pole Ice Rink Cambs (@thenorthpolecambridge) on Instagram: “Start your New Year’s Eve celebrations in style at The North Pole, open today until 7pm (last skate…”
- Mill Road Winter Fair – On the 7th December join over 10,000 people at the annual winter fair from 10:30am – 4:15pm. The day starts off at Ditchburn Gardens at 10:30am with a festive food fair, market and craft stalls, art show and live music.
- The Panto – Cambridge arts theatre plays host to Cinderella from the 28th November through to the 11th January.
- Cardiff’s Christmas Market – More than 200 individual businesses, selling arts, crafts and seasonal food and drink will take part in the Christmas market. Located in and around The Hayes area of the city, the rows of decorated wooden stalls are open until the 23rd December and with so many businesses taking part, you’ll find an excuse to return a few times to see all the different traders.
- Winter Wonderland– A major part of Christmas in Cardiff for as long as our marketing team can remember! Cardiff’s winter wonderland returns bigger and better, with the indoor ice rink, big wheel, 2 story la piste bar and for the first time a 250m long alpine ice trail.
The Winter wonderland opens tomorrow #Cardiffwinterwonderland #Cardiff #wales #christmas #christmascountdown #cardiffcity #cardiffingers #visitcardiff #cardiff #wales #city #street #streetphotography #architecture #streetart #bbcwest #igersuk #photography #autumn #travel #ukshooters #photooftheday
64 Likes, 0 Comments – It’s On Cardiff (@itsoncardiff) on Instagram: “The Winter wonderland opens tomorrow #Cardiffwinterwonderland #Cardiff #wales #christmas…”
- Santa Express – Head to Cardiff Bay for a festive saunter down the promenade, a bite to eat and see a steam train made of 300,000 Lego bricks! The loco, with two wagons plus an elf driver, 24 presents, and a Christmas tree is on display from November 30th to January 5th.
- The Panto – The New Theatre is home to Cinderella with Gok Wan starring as the Fairy Gokmother… running from 7th December to the 12th January.
- Carlisle’s Christmas Market – Open from 30th November to the 8th December, the city centre’s old town hall is home to an open-air festive market, selling a wide range of food, drinks and gifts.
- Here comes Santa – and another, and another… Lace up your trainers, stick on a Santa suit and join in the 5k Santa Dash on the 8th December to help raise money for Jigsaw a children’s hospice for Cumbria.
Activity and exercise for me is about lots of things. Challenging myself, having fun, supporting people, keeping fit, being with friends, staying healthy, being an active family. Today the Carlisle Santa Dash & Fun Run 2018 was about having fun and doing things with my home team. What a morning. What a sight. Thank you to the Jigsaw team and all of the other people involved. We hope it raised lots of money and support. #carlislesantadash2018 #jigsawcumbria Photo credit: Mel Munro 2018
15 Likes, 0 Comments – @fellsideactive on Instagram: “Activity and exercise for me is about lots of things. Challenging myself, having fun, supporting…”
- The Panto – Snow White and The Severn Dwarfs is the pantomime in the Sand Centre this December, running from the 11th to 31st.
- Chester’s Christmas Market – Open all the way through to 22nd December, the Christmas market can be found in the heart of Chester city centre and is home to over 70 chalets surrounding the sparking tree that forms the heart of Chester’s Christmas celebrations.
- Christmas at Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet – Jump on the 1 Gold bus and head to the Designer Outlet for some bargain Christmas shopping and take a cheeky insta pic of the amazing 90ft Christmas tree and relax in the winter village Christmas market that’s open from the 1st to 23rd December.
There really is nothing like festive nights and twinkling lights ✨ Our Christmas corner is open tonight until 10pm & so are all of our stores and restaurants. Make the most of it, it’s Fri-yay! ° : @tommdolmann
202 Likes, 0 Comments – Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet (@cheshireoaksdesigneroutlet) on Instagram: “There really is nothing like festive nights and twinkling lights ✨ Our Christmas corner is open…”
- Winter Watch and Saturnalia Parade – On the 12th December, join in with a Chester tradition since the 15th century! An amazing event based on two traditions, first of ‘Setting the Watch’, when the city leaders handed over the keys of Chester to the City Watch – the early police force – after processing around the city. And the Saturnalia parade which sees the Roman legion light up the streets with a torch-lit parade. Colourful costumes and characters, devils, dragons, sword fights and a fire breathing finale. The parade starts at 7pm from the Forum Shopping Centre.
- The Panto – Chester’s Storyhouse is home to Peter Pan this Christmas running from the 6th December to 12th January.
- Coventry Christmas Makers Market – Taking place at Fargo Village on the 7th, 8th and 14th of December. Get yourself a unique gift for friends and family, from a range of local independent businesses, plus a range of food and drink.
The next #SantasLittleMakersMarket is one week today, and we’ve got a treat! Over 30 independent Christmas makers, delicious streat foods, mulled wine and live performances! . . Next Friday we’re welcoming @highlysprung and @thebellesofthreespires to bring you some festive entertainment! Make sure you join us 5-10pm for shopping, food and more festive fun! . . #lovefargo #fargovillage #winter #christmas #christmasshopping #wintermarket #fargonightmarket #SantasLittleMakersMarket #christmasshopping #handmade #madewithlove #artisan #affordableartfair #lovecov #coventrycityofculture #coventry2021
86 Likes, 3 Comments – FarGo Village Coventry (@fargovillagecov) on Instagram: “The next #SantasLittleMakersMarket is one week today, and we’ve got a treat! Over 30 independent…”
- The Panto – Puss in Boots is the story at the Belgrade Theatre until 11th January.
- Past, Presents and Future – Four giant walk-through presents will guide you from Derby cathedral into the Market Place. The four presents burst into a light and music show every half hour from the 29th November.
This year Derby will be giving visitors the gift of Christmas, all wrapped up in 4 giant walk-through ‘presents’ that burst into a synchronized light & music show every 30 mins… . Find out more here; https://www.visitderby.co.uk/whats-on/visit-christmas-past-presents-and-future-in-derby/. . #DerbyUK #christmasinderby #presents
29 Likes, 0 Comments – Visit Derby (@visitderby) on Instagram: “This year Derby will be giving visitors the gift of Christmas, all wrapped up in 4 giant walk-…”
- Let’s make Christmas – Running all the way through to Christmas Eve, Let’s make Christmas takes place in Derby Museum and showcase 23 local craft produces from the Derby area.
- A Christmas Carol – From the 29th November until 4th January, Derby Theatre plays host to an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol.
- The Panto – The Derby Arena is the venue for Derby’s Pantomime, which this year is Peter Pan and runs from the 7th December until 4th January.
- Sustainable Christmas Market – Head to North Great Clarence Street, (just 10 minute walk from Point Campus) for a the Dublin Sustainable Christmas Market at D-Light Studios on the weekend of the 6-8 December.
- Dundrum on Ice – Jump on the green line tram to Dundrum and head to the town centre for a 500m² ice rink. The Ice rink is open all the way through Christmas until 12th January.
- The Guinness choir at Christmas – On 8th December join the Guinness Choir for their annual Christmas Concert in St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
- The Panto – The Gaiety Theatre takes you on a carpet ride to Aladdin right the way through December until 5th January.
This is no ordinary panto. It’s THE GAIETY PANTO! Tickets for Aladdin now on sale. #panto #pantomime #aladdin #Gaiety
98 Likes, 7 Comments – Gaiety Theatre (@gaiety_theatre) on Instagram: “This is no ordinary panto. It’s THE GAIETY PANTO! Tickets for Aladdin now on sale. #panto…”
- Exeter Christmas Market – From November 16th to the 19th December, Exeter Cathedral green is home to the annual Christmas market, Open from 10am until 5pm with late night opening until 9pm between Thursdays and Saturdays. Last year over 600,000 visitors explored the food and craft stalls and Bavarian-style bars.
- Explore Exeter at Night – Get your Christmas shopping out of the way with late night shopping and entertainment on Thursday evenings between the 21st November and 19th December in the Princesshay area of the city centre and take a few pics for the gram as the streets light up with thousands of Christmas lights.
In the beautiful heart of Exeter is our wonderful restaurant.. if you’re peckish after a Christmas shop, stop by for a festive experience ❄️ #exeter#exeterfood#devon#devonlife#exeterstudents#foodlife#devonfoodie#exeterrestaurant#devonstudents#healthyfood#christmas#christmasfood#exeterchristmas#christmasdeals#exeterxmas
35 Likes, 1 Comments – BILL’S EXETER (@billsexeter) on Instagram: “In the beautiful heart of Exeter is our wonderful restaurant.. if you’re peckish after a Christmas…”
- Huddersfield Winter Festival – Open at St George’s square all the way through to Christmas Eve, complete with a giant Scandinavian tepee hosting live music and events, plus a warming winter bar and coffee shop.
110 Likes, 0 Comments – (@hannahbeighton_) on Instagram: “it’s christmaaas”
- The Panto – From the 6th December through to the 5th January, The Lawrence Batley Theatre plays host to Sleeping Beauty.
Bradgate Park watch out, there’s a new deer in town! This giant reindeer is sat just outside Highcross Shopping Centre – next to Jägerhaus, a wonderful German bar serving traditional Christmas food and drinks Credit to @dmuleicester for this perfect pic! #visitleicester #leicestershire #leicestercity #leicestergram #igersleicester #loveleicester #autumn #lc #instalc #visitlc #myleicester #potd #ukpotd #lcfc #scenicbritain #lovegreatbritain #leicesterphotographer #leicestershirelive #leicesterlife #christmasinleicester #christmas #wheel #ferriswheel
113 Likes, 2 Comments – Visit Leicester (@visitleicester) on Instagram: “Bradgate Park watch out, there’s a new deer in town! This giant reindeer is sat just outside…”
- Guildhall Christmas Craft Fair – Leicester’s Guildhall hosts a Christmas craft fair on the 30th November and 1st December. Step into the medieval hall for a range of art and craft stalls.
- Jubilee Square Ice Rink – Under a clear roof, you can skate to your hearts content as the stars shine above you, whatever the weather. Open from the 5th December through to the 5th January, the ice rink includes an outdoor ice trail.
- Christmas Wheel of Light – Also in Jubilee Square the 110-foot-high wheel of light is open all the way through to the 5th January, each of the covered gondolas gives amazing views of Leicester in the 10-minute ride.
- Lightweight – Nah not someone who can’t hold their drink! It’s a giant inflatable sphere, glowing with colours and imagery providing a twilight show over the entire surface of the globe. Head to the Market Place between the 12th to the 21st December between 5 and 10pm to see it.
- The Panto – Antony Costa (yeah him from Blue) and Sam Bailey (off of the X-factor) star in the De Montfort Hall pantomime Aladdin between the 14th December and 5th January.
- Liverpool’s Christmas Market – Head to St George’s Plateau with magnificent St George’s Hall as a background until the 23rd December. Mulled wine from the Tepee bar, a Ski Lodge with Karaoke cable cars, a Bavarian grill, local arts and crafts plus a vintage fairground all lit by the twinkle of Christmas lights. Liverpool’s Christmas market is not to be missed.
- Church Streets’ Light Spectacular – A 70-metre LED tunnel of light and music show awaits you on Church Street. This world-famous light show has travelled the world including Oostende in Belgium and this year takes up residence in Liverpool all the way until the 5th January. The 10 minute light show takes places every hour from 3:30 to 7:30pm.
- 25 Days of Christmas in Liverpool – Visit Liverpool have pulled together a list of the 25 top things to tick off your Christmas list in the city. Perfect if you’re sticking around your Host student accommodation this Christmas.
509 Likes, 8 Comments – VisitLiverpool.com (@visitliverpool_) on Instagram: “We don’t think this image requires a caption #MyLiverpoolChristmas”
- The Panto – The Liverpool Empire is home to Peter Pan this Christmas. Running from the 7th to the 29th December.
- Where do you start with what to do in London for Christmas!? The Visit London website has over 100 Christmas ideas of things to do! Anyhow here’s a few highlights:
- Winter Wonderland– London’s Hyde Park is home to the biggest and best winter wonderlands in the UK if not the world. Featuring a huge selection of festive entertainment and activities, from ice skating and circus shows to a Christmas market and live music, there’s enough fun things to do to fill a whole day and evening.
- Hogwarts in the Snow– Unfortunately you can’t board the Hogwarts Express from King’s Cross, but you can take a 20-minute train ride from Euston to Watford Junction and then a shuttle bus to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour. The Making of Harry Potter attraction has had a festive make over right through to the 26th January. Christmas trees line the Great Hall, treats fill the Gryffindor common room and the Hogwarts Castle model is covered in a blanket of snow. Between the 9-11th December you can even have Dinner in the Great Hall.
The Great Hall turns into a winter wonderland for the #YuleBall as the entire set is adorned with silver. Have you seen the festive set during #HogwartsInTheSnow?
23k Likes, 156 Comments – Warner Bros. Studio Tour (@wbtourlondon) on Instagram: “The Great Hall turns into a winter wonderland for the #YuleBall as the entire set is adorned with…”
- Christmas by the River – More than 70 wooden cabins full of festive treats line the banks of the Thames. The traditional Christmas market stretches along the Queen’s Walk from London Bridge City Pier to The Scoop at More London, with views of Tower Bridge, the Tower of London and the City of London.
- The Panto – The London Palladium, plays host to Goldilocks and the Three Bears with top stars including Paul O’Grady, Matt Baker and Julian Clary from the 7th December to the 12th January.
- Nottingham’s Winter Wonderland – Old Market Square is the focal point for all things festive in Nottingham. All the way through until New Years Eve the market square is transformed into a winter wonderland. With a Christmas Market, Ice skating, toboggan slide, fairground rides and an ice bar.
Have you booked your tickets for the ice rink yet? Remember this year it’s going to be bigger and better than ever before! https://loom.ly/VL8yz5M #NottinghamWinterWonderland #Christmas2019
48 Likes, 0 Comments – Winter Wonderland (@winterwonderlandnottingham) on Instagram: “Have you booked your tickets for the ice rink yet? Remember this year it’s going to be bigger and…”
- The Panto – The Theatre Royal is home to Cinderella until the 5th January. Sooty (now there’s a throwback!) and Gareth Gates star.
- Oxford’s Christmas Market – Now in it’s 10th year the Christmas market takes place on Broad Street in the city centre between the 5th-21st December. To the sounds of choirs singing Christmas carols, market traders offer a range of gifts, decorations and food and drink from the wooden stalls. The market is open Thursdays – Saturday 10am – 8pm and Sundays to Wednesday until 6:30pm.
- Frosty 5k – Join 1,500 other Santa’s for a walk, jog or run through the spires of Oxford, taking place on the 7th December, the 5k route takes your through 4 themed zones: Ice, Fog, Fire and Snow.
- Christmas at the Palace – Catch the bus to a grand Christmas at Blenheim Palace. A Christmas Market takes place between the 22nd November and 15th December, with a spectacular illuminated light trail running through the festive gardens all the way through to New Years Day. The state rooms have been transformed into a whimsical wonderland, telling the story of Alice in Wonderland.
There’s just a week left to catch our Christmas Market and pick up some handcrafted and locally sourced gifts. Remember – arrive before 12.00 to park and enter for free! @peteseawardphotography #christmasatblenheimpalace #blenheimpalace
2,021 Likes, 26 Comments – Blenheim Palace (@blenheimpalace) on Instagram: “There’s just a week left to catch our Christmas Market and pick up some handcrafted and locally…”
- The Panto – Beauty and the Beast is the panto at the Oxford Playhouse all the way through to January 12th.
#Repost @plymuni * * * It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas Have you been down to the Plymouth Christmas Market? Explore over 60 log cabins of food, unique gifts, festive drinks and much more! #plymouth #christmasiscoming #christmasmarket #christmasinplymouth #festive
51 Likes, 0 Comments – Visit Plymouth (@visitplymouth) on Instagram: “#Repost @plymuni * * * It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas Have you been down to the…”
- Illuminate – Make sure to visit the historic Royal William Yard between the 28th November and 1st December as an incredible light-based festival takes place to mark the start of the Mayflower 400 commemorative year. From 5:30pm each evening, the free event provides immersive visual art, spectacular projections and interactive installations set out across the Royal William Yard.
- Barbican Lights – Head down to Southside Street in the Barbican on the 1st December for the light switch on at 5pm. And then explore and take in the sites as the waterside is lit up by the twinkling lights.
- Plymouth’s Christmas Market – The outside of Host Central Point is home to Plymouth’s Christmas market. The city centre Piazza will host more than 50 traders from across the South West, selling a range of unique gifts, sweet treats, festive food and a Bavarian bar. A giant illuminated bauble provides the best spot for a cheeky selfie as gospel choirs get you into the festive spirit.
- Penguin Trail– Unfortunately not real ones, you’ll need to hop on a train to Torquay to see those. But Armada Way is the start of a trail of 20 life size Lego penguins, hidden in the shops and businesses of Plymouth city centre. Find the names of the 19 rockhopper and one emperor penguin and be in with a chance of winning a penguin feeding experience for you and three friends. The trail runs from the 30th November to 5th January.
- The Panto – Theatre Royal Plymouth is home to Cinderella between the 20th December and 18th January.
- Sheffield’s Christmas Market – Head to Fargate in the city centre right up to Christmas Eve, to experience the sights, sounds and smells of the popular Christmas market. 50 handpicked market traders cover Fargate, Town Hall Square and Peace gardens selling a range of gifts, crafts and festive food and drink. Jump onboard the Big Wheel and take in the view.
1,355 Likes, 2 Comments – The University of Sheffield (@theuniversityofsheffield) on Instagram: “We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy holiday. 🙂 #shefunilife (Photo by @es_kwon )”
- THOR’S Tipi bar – Located in the Peace Gardens, the Tipi Bar is open right the way through until the 5th January, selling a range of festive drinks including hot cocktails, the tipi bar will keep you warm after a day Christmas shopping in the city centre.
- The Post Room – Head to Meadowhall for this unique experience. The Post Room is full of quirk Christmas themed rooms and fun, festive backdrops, each one more Instagrammable than the last.
- The Panto – The Lyceum Theatre is home to Sheffield’s pantomime, Cinderella. Cinderella runs from the 6th December until the 5th January.
#HostEnvironmentalPledge. Getting serious about the environment we live in.
To become more ‘environmentally friendly’, Host is launching the #HostEnvironmentalPledge campaign to encourage responsible behaviour and drive sustainability across our sites throughout the UK and Ireland.
It’s a simple campaign! If we can reduce our overall utilities (electric, water and gas) consumption by 1% then we will donate £10,000, 2% reduction means £20,000, 3% is £30,000 and so on, to 3 charities; BulliesOut, Plastic Patrol and World Land Trust.Show me all news
Saturday 25th January marks Chinese New Year. Find out all about the Chinese New Year and some top events in the UK.
Whether you’re looking for a prime city centre location, stylish fixtures and fittings or first-class facilities, you’ll find it all at Southampton Crossings. Opening this September, be one of the first to experience student living without the hassle at Southampton’s newest student digs.